Friday, May 22, 2009

Worst of the Best & Best of the Worst

Hello. This is actually I list I comprise up back in July of 2008 that I never got around to finishing. Anyway, after posting so many blogs on hip hop, one thing I never did was open up to some of the actual songs that were hot from artists that I liked, but I hated the songs, although it seemed everyone else loved them.

Also, even though I'm perceived as a hip hop head, I'll admit it's some fun songs that I wouldn't consider the best & probably get me scorned in the hip hop community for admitting that I liked it. For example, I actually liked Ja Rule's music b4 he let 50 take him out of his lane. Also, I used to sing along with Ginuwine to that Nas "U Owe Me" joint. But hey my list gets worst. Those are just examples.

First off let me acknowledge the songs you might've loved, but did nothing for me in the beginning. Some grew on me later, others, well... I learn to tolerate it.

Top 10 Songs I Originally Hated by Artists I Love
1. 2Pac - California Love
I know I'll get a lot of flack for this, but fuck it. I hated it when it first came out, even though I was a Dre & Roger Troutman fan. The reason was I felt it was out of 2Pac's element at the time.. or at least what I was used to. Plus I felt it was a subliminal hit at the East Coast. I just hated this new image of 2Pac going from attacking corrupt politicians & other racist figures to attacking his own bruthas based on coast or opinions (at the time.) I felt like if Biggie & Puff had something to do with his shooting, it should've stayed btw those camps instead of dragging the whole coast into it & anyone who spoke indifferent. But aside from that, I didn't like the sample used with it. Now I did like the original beat on the album version by Dr. Dre using his traditional G-funk style.

2. The Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy
When I first heard this I saw Biggie as an overrated rapper trying to ride off the West Coast dick with an East Coast sound, plus I thought the Mtume sample was too obvious & played out (should've been left alone.). Even today, even though I like the song, it's definitely a dumb downed Biggie, but I respect it now. Becuz truthfully, even lyricist have to dumb down on occasions to get a point across (i.e. Nas' " I Can"). I almost didn't get the album based on this first single & verse on Flava In Ya Ear. Even though his verse was nice... from a battling & punchline standpoint, he was so-so to me lyrically. But after I got his album (thanks to a friend that let me listen to his) I realize. Damn, I underestimated the man. But this is still one of my least favorite joint on Biggie's debut.

3. A Tribe Called Quest - I Left My Wallet In El Segundo
Crazy thing, since I'm probably the biggest ATCQ fan ever now. BUt originally, I liked it from a comedic standpoint (the video), but I couldn't see myself wanting to play it on my cassette player. I thought it was corny at the time, especially the chorus. Then they came with BOnita Applebaum. I liked it better, but still antsy. After getting 5 mics from the Source, & everybody... I mean folks that actually listened to real hip hop kept co-signing them, I finally broke down in 92 & got both the first & Low End Theory at the same time. And crazily, I love that song now. LOL

4. MC Lyte - Ruffneck
Til this day, this is my least favorite MC Lyte hit song. I felt she let ppl get in her head saying she needed to come harder after mixed reviews of her 3rd album (Act Like You Know), where she first started wearing make up, & dropped "WHen In Love". I admit, I wasn't big on that song, but honestly, with the exception of that & maybe 1 or 2 tracks out of about 17 songs, that album was tight. But ppl judged her off one track & she jumped on that Onyx/MOP Hardcore bandwagon spitting extra hard... like she wasn't hard b4 her first 2 albums. But also Boss came out that year, so every female starting playing the "gangsta bitch". (sadly... even YoYo). To me, that joint & album was more of the disappointment than the previous. Becuz at least the previous showed growth & maturity of a tomboy becoming a strong positive woman. While she was almost forced to becoming a butch on that album. Although the album did have some great moments, as a whole, I wish she would've stuck to her guns.

5. Salt-n-Pepa - Push It
I respect what this song did for not only SNP, but female rappers in general, b/c they opened the doors for them to not only sell records but get major deals. This gave birth to a lot of copycat girl groups trying to make that next party record. But honestly, compared to the original joints off their first album, this song was wack to me. Ain't no way "Push It" topped "Chick On The Side", My Mic Sound Nice", "Tramp", "I'll Take Your Man"... hell the whole album... including "Showstoppers" (response to Doug E Fresh & Slick Rick's "The Show") that was done 2 years earlier. Even now, my mind goes blank when this joint bumps on the radio. "Shake Your Thang" should've got more exposure than that, cuz not only was it a party song, the lyrics were fun to hear & better crafted.

6. Busta Rhymes - I Got U All In Check (Woo Hah)
I get hyped like I'm on ecstacy when I hear this now. But back when this joint first came out, I thought it was retarded. It was just weird to me, especially when it first premiered, & that "Everything Remains Raw" came on. I was bumping my head as hard as his multiple figures in that Range Rover. Then he came when that kiddie beat & lost my mojo. It took me finally getting the album for this joint to grow on me. But I really loved it when he remixed it with ODB (R.I.P.)

7. Fugees - "Killing Me Softly"
I know a lot of females are gonna bite my head off for this. But I'm sorry. I love Lauryn Hill & I loved the original "Killing Me Softly" by Roberta Flack. I even loved Al B. Sure's version. But I couldn't get into the Fugees' version. Lauryn killed it lyrically, but the beat was so simple, it killed it for me. Plus it was out of place on the album to me. I think if Clef would've played the original beat on his guitar (like the intro) instead of the 4 beats per bar, I would've liked it better. Every time this song comes on the radio, I go to another channel & I always skip over it when I play the album. Again, sorry ladies. But I blame Clef... like Canibus did for his first album. LMAO

8. Jay Z feat. Foxy Brown - Ain't No....
I hated this song based off the strength that it got more buzz than his first single, "Dead Presidents." When his first single dropped, I was all gassed & telling everybody to watch out for him.... he was mad nice. At that time, I saw him as the next Nas. But when he dropped this joint, I was like EPMD already used it & did a better job with it. And I love Foxy & her voice, but it like her verse never ended. Although I would've preferred just her verse alone on that song & take Jigga off. LOL. Then after hearing other joints, I hated this more, becuz to me, it was definitely meant for commercial status. But it worked, so I ain't mad at him.

9. Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead (feat. Will-I-Am)
Nas got lazy on this song (and the first few songs of the albums). With a title like Hip Hop Is Dead, I just knew he was gonna kill it & try to bring some resurrection to the game. But I should've known better off the strength that Will-I-Am produced it... even though I love what he did with Common (I Have A Dream). ANd to make matters worse, he used the exact same sample he used on "Thief's Theme" which IMO was a 10 time much better song lyrically & how the sample was done (much more gritty & sinister).

10. Eminem & Dr. Dre - Guilty Conscious
I thought "My Name Is.." was funny as hell, but I didn't see it as something I could rock with. Although I liked his delivery & lyrics, I saw him as a twisted white version of Will Smith during his "Fresh Prince" days or even Kwame. And when this 2nd single came out, I just thought it was predictable. Oh wow. A Dr. Dre/ Slim collabo. I did like the good conscious vs. bad conscious idea, but the beat was too typical of Dre to me & again, saw it as something funny, but couldn't take Eminem serious as a dope emcee. It wasn't until his 3rd single "Role Model" & a co-worker let me listen to her copy of his debut album that I started liking him.

Dishonorable Mentions
1. Ice Cube - The Bop Gun : Leave the funk to the pros (Parliament, George Clinton & so on...)
2. Common - Ghetto Heaven (remix): The original with D'Angelo was bananas. Why the hell they took it from the album & replaced with the wack version with Macy Gray IDK.
3. E-40 & Suga T - Sprinkle Me. I used to mock Suga T's high pitched. I used to think she was wack. But I heard her on a Lyricist Lounge freestyle & honey was straight fire. Plus this ended up being one of those songs that grew on me.
4. DMX - Get Me At Dog: he won me with follow up joints, esp. Ruff Ryders Anthem.
5.

Top 10 Hip Hop Guilty Pleasures
1. Dem Franchise Boyz - "I Think They Like Me" feat. Bow Wow & Brat - Brat killing that verse is what won me.
2. Technitronik "Pump Up The Jam".)
3. Marky Mark - Good Vibrations (I liked it from a work out regime & club banger. But not from a hip hop perspective.)
4. MC Hammer - Pump It Up (That shit was slamming back in the days... especially with B. Angie B. singing on the hook.)
5. Luke - Doo Doo Brown (The stripper anthem of all times.)
6. B Rock & The Bizz - "My Baby Daddy" (hilarious. B/c I knew a girl that talked just like the chick in the song. But "T-bird, I luh you.")
7. Project Pat - "Chicken Head" (another funny track with a funny video. I might be wrong, but LA Chat was perfect for the video cuz she looked like a chickenhead.)
8. KP & Envyi - "Shorty Swing My Way" (Joint still makes me wanna dance.)
9. Sadat - "Funk Dat" (We had fun with this joint back in the days where we'd come with our own questions & yell.... FUNK DAT)
10. Snap - "I Got The Power" ( I actually liked this version better than Chill Rob G's version, b/c of the chick singing.)

Dishonorable Mentions (& I Don't Care)
C&C Music Factory - Make You Sweat
US-3 - Cantaloop (Actually this joint sounds better than it did back then. I can't believe cats actually hated on this. Might go back & get that album.)
PM Dawn - Paper Dolls (liked them until they disrespected my man, KRS-One)


I had to go & find this LMAO.....!!!!

2 comments:

Muhammad the Harlem Sk8rboi (MIAAR) said...

It's a crime at how good you are at putting together these concepts George. I actually loved "Ain't no Nigga" when it first came out, but I didn't take it NEARLY as seriously as "Dead Presidents" which hit home VERY hard. I always said MC Lyte dropped the ball with "Ruff Neck." I loved DMX's "Get at me Dog", but I didn't truly respect him until "Stop Being Greedy" & the DJ Clue joint called "Pull it" with Cam'ron. "Juicy" was an introductory track in my opinion. Simply Puff & the Trackmasters were trying to find an ear friendly sound that people could adapt to while hearing Biggie Rhyme. The Mtume sample fit correctly, but of course it doesn't compare to the album tracks like "Everyday Struggle." I NEVER really liked that ATCQ joint. The video was somewhat comical, but the song was too simplistic for them dudes. Oddly enough I never skipped it when I played their tape.
Excellent concept again George!

Phellah G said...

What up Muhammad. I loved Everyday Struggle. That was actually my favorite joint on the album next to Warning.

Man, I was very disappointed when Lyte came with Ruffneck. But it got her radio play, so I can't be mad at her. Just sucks her earlier works from any of her 3 prior albums didn't get the same amount of love.

I felt the same about DMX. Another friend of mine turned me on to him, cuz I wasn't really feeling his first joint. I remember loving "Stop Being Greedy" the first time I heard it on the CD.

I think you're right though about "Juicy", b/c it's so out of place on the album, IMO.